Monday, December 23, 2013

Help Me Find a Holiday Read

by Julia Buckley

I am on a brief break from work.  I had to bring some work home, and I have to use some of the time preparing and cleaning up after parties.  I'd like to watch some movies, and I'd like to go out for some meals (since my life is rather dull in this respect when I'm in the work-a-day world--daily turkey sandwiches, or example).

But I'm thinking that, even though a "long break" always proves to be an illusion and my alarm is ringing at 6 AM again all too soon, I MIGHT be able to sneak in a couple of holiday reads.

But, as you probably know, finding the right book takes time and research.  A couple of weeks ago I printed my criteria for a good book.  I wonder if I might call upon your expertise, readers of this blog, to suggest one of your own favorites that I might want to look up as a possible holiday read?  I promise to investigate them all before making my choice.  They don't have to be brand new or by a super popular author--I just want a great, enthralling read with which to curl up in my chair.  I want to feel, when I'm finished, that I had a little adventure and it was a pleasure from beginning to end.

Is that too much to ask of a book?  I doubt it, which is why I hope to get a variety of suggestions.

Meanwhile, I'm sharing some holiday images from my son's birthday party.  He is nineteen today.  Happy birthday, Ian!


  A dessert bar made of entirely of chocolate things.  It was popular.

This little Bavarian House candle holder was a gift from my parents.

Ian (holding the cookie) and his cousins.

4 comments:

Elizabeth Zelvin said...

Merry Xmas, Julia, and congratulations on a great job raising your son. He's a grownup now! As we shrinks say, How do you feel about that?

Julia Buckley said...

It is bittersweet, Liz. It's great to see children grow and change, but where did our babies go?

Sandra Parshall said...

Julia, if you're not holding out for books with Christmas themes, you might enjoy Rage Against the Dying by Becky Masterson and The Book of Killowen by Erin Hart.

Julia Buckley said...

Thanks, Sandra! I will look them both up--in fact that first one was a title I had admired in one of your posts, so I think I need to find it now.