Monday, March 17, 2008

Exciting News for Mary Stewart Fans

by Julia Buckley



















Chicago Review Press
has reissued two classic Stewart suspense novels: The Ivy Tree and Nine Coaches Waiting, with moody new covers and trade paperback formats.

While I wouldn't re-read most books simply because I saw them with different covers, Stewart's books are an exception. The cool new covers are just an excuse to read her books again.

I'm also glad to see Stewart in the trade size, since the old books I have, which may well be relics from the 60s or 70s, are hard to read in mass market size with the extremely tiny print that many books had back then.

Nine Coaches Waiting is a book with a Gothic feel, and this new cover captures that with its mysterious dark look and red lettering. Kudos to whomever decided to re-imagine the cover for this classic tale.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That IS exciting news, Julia!!
As I get older that tiny print in my falling-apart mass market paperback editions gets harder and harder to read.

Anonymous said...

How wonderful! A friend in high school introduced me to Mary Stewart and I devoured all of the books. Yes, I still have the old mass market paperbacks. I stuck with her through the Merlin series, and then she lost me.

I understand she is still alive? Anybody know where to send a fan letter? She must be in her 90s.

Julia Buckley said...

I wish I knew, Sheila. I once sent a fan letter to one of her last publishers--I think of Thornyhold or one of those books--and it was sent back to me as "address not known."

This is one author that I wish had a website!

Maryln, I got one for my mom and it's quite lovely.